|Cincinnati Brewing History-Preprohibition 1811-1919|
Davis Embree operates THE EMBREE BREWERY located at 75 Water Street from 1811 to 1825. Some Cincinnati brewery historians credit Davis Embree with establishing the first brewery in the city. Some Cincinnati brewery historians recognize James Dover as establishing a brewery in 1806 at the foot of Race Street, however, very little evidence of this brewery exists.
William Floyd operates THE WILLIAM FLOYD BREWERY brewery located on Fifth Street from 1813 to 1817.
Thomas Wood establishes THE THOMAS WOOD BREWERY on Fifth Street near Vine and operates it from 1819 to 1825.
Patrick Reilly or O’Reilly operates THE REILLY BREWERY located on Congress Street from 1819 to 1825. From 1825 to 1836, Perry was Patrick Reilly’s partner in this brewery. In 1836, Perry leaves the partnership and once again Reilly was the sole owner until 1839. In 1839 after Patrick Reilly’s death, his wife, Mary Ann, takes over the business and operates the brewery until 1842. Mary Ann Reilly is assisted by her son, William, and Thomas Drum. Patrick Reilly's sons, William and Francis Reilly, operate the brewery from 1842 until 1844 when the brewery closes.
William Rowland operates THE WILLIAM ROWLAND BREWERY located on Second Street between Broadway and Ludlow.
THE JAMES BYRNE BREWERY is located on Water Street between Main and Walnut in 1825.
Thomas Wood and William Metcalf operate THE WOOD & METCALF BREWERY located on Water between Vine and Race along the river from 1825 to 1829. In 1829, Metcalf leaves the partnership and Thomas Wood is joined by William Price. THE WOOD & PRICE BREWERY operates at the Water Street location until 1830.
William Attee operates THE WILLIAM ATTEE BREWERY located on the south side of Fourth between Smith and John Streets from 1825 to 1829.
John Walker receives this brewery as a payment for a debt. After attempts to sell the brewery fail, he opens the JOHN WALKER BREWERY. The brewery is located on the west side of Sycamore Street just north of Reading Road. The brewery operates under this name until 1836. Isaiah Blake becomes John Walker’s partner in 1836 and together they operate the brewery until 1839 when Blake leaves. In 1839, the brewery located at 385/393 Sycamore Street becomes THE JOHN WALKER & COMPANY BREWERY. Walker dies in an accident at the brewery in 1853 and his wife directs operations until her own death in 1858 when Walker's nephews Andrew, William, and Archibald managed the brewery until 1860 when they purchase the interest of the other heirs.
William Lofthouse and William Attee operate THE EAGLE BREWERY located on Fourth Street from1829 until 1843. William Lofthouse becomes the sole proprietor of the brewery after William Attee dies in 1843 and he operates the brewery until his own death in 1850. His widow leases the brewery to Joseph Schaller and Johann Schiff who continue to use the EAGLE BREWERY name and operate the facility from 1850 to 1857.
William Metcalf and William Attee operate METCALF’S BREWERY located on Sycamore Street north of Fourth from 1829 to 1836. William Disney Jr. joins William Metcalf in 1836 and together they operate the METCALF & DISNEY’S BREWERY on the east side of Sycamore between Third and Fourth until 1844 when it was purchased by the J. W. Harris & Co.
A German named Schmeltzer starts THE ANDREW JACKSON BREWERY in 1829. He sells the brewery to a man named Klopf who later sells the brewery to Meinrad and Fridolin Kleiner in 1832. The Kleiner brothers operate the brewery under this name until 1855 at which time they change the name of the brewery to THE JACKSON BREWERY and continue operating until 1873.
Conrad Schultz Sr. and his brother Johann Schultz operate THE WASHINGTON BREWERY located at 483 Front Street east of the city water works from 1830 to 1865.
Dr. William Price operates THE CINCINNATI BREWERY aka: DR. PRICE’S BREWERY located at the corner of Water and Race Streets near the river. The brewery operates from 1830 to 1838.
Peter Jonte and his cousin, Friedrich Billiod, start the PETER JONTE BREWERY located at Abigail (12th Street) and Sycamore. Friedrich Billiod leaves in 1835 to establish his own Lafayette Brewery and in 1855, Peter Jonte sells the brewery to Christian Boss and David Ray.
Thomas Wood is joined by George Middlewood Sr. and George Middlewood Jr. to establish THE WESTERN BREWERY on the southwest corner of Fourth and Western Row (now Central Ave.). The brewery operates from 1834 to 1843 when the Middlewoods took control of the business and operate under this name until 1846.
Friedrich and Thomas Billiod establish THE LAFAYETTE BREWERY at 184 Hamilton Road near Vine and operate it from 1836 to 1863. In 1863, Friedrich passes on and his wife Margaretha manages the brewery for one year. In 1847, much of the brewery was destroyed by fire but it was rebuilt and improved. In 1864, the brewery was sold to William Fey and Co. who operates it until 1868.
Agneil and Karl Ludwig Fleishman establish THE BAVARIAN BREWERY located at the southwest corner of Main and Abigail (now 12th) Streets. They operate the brewery from 1836 to 1846. Some Cincinnati brewery historians credit the Fleishmans' as brewing the first lager beer in Cincinnati however no evidence is available to support this claim.
Peter Jonte operates THE COVINGTON BREWERY at Sixth and Scott Streets in Covington, KY from 1837 to 1842.
Conrad Muentzenberger operates THE MUENTZENBERGER BREWERY located on Fourth Street around 1841. Some Cincinnati brewery historians credit Conrad Muentzenberger as the first brewer in the city to brew lager beer. In 1846, he joins Francis Fortmann to operate THE FORTMANN BREWERY on Main Street which continues until 1855. At that time, Fortmann buys out his partner, renames the brewery THE BAVARIAN BREWERY, and continues operating until 1859.
Bernard Shierberg operates THE BERNARD SHIERBERG BREWERY located on Abigail (now 12th Street) between Sycamore and Broadway from 1842 to 1845.
Henry Wolff opens and operates THE HENRY WOLFF BREWERY located on Third Street between Mill and Stone from 1842 to 1845.
John Kauffmann operates THE FRANKLIN BREWERY on Reading Road, renamed Lebanon Pike, on the east side of the street near Deer Creek which supplies water for the brewery. The brewery operates until 1845 when Kauffmann along with his nephew, George F. Eichenlaub, and Rudoff Rheinboldt move the brewery to Vine Street where it is known as the VINE STREET BREWERY. The VINE STREET BREWERY operates until 1859.
John Nicholson operates THE JOHN NICHOLSON BREWERY located on the south side of Baker Street between Walnut and Vine from 1845 to 1848.
Thomas Ogden operates THE THOMAS OGDEN BREWERY located on Abotts Alley between Western Row (now Central Ave.) and John Street from 1845 to 1848.
Johann G. Sohn and George Klotter establish THE HAMILTON BREWERY on the northwest corner of Hamilton Road and Hamburg Street (now McMicken Ave. and Stonewall Street) in 1846 and operate it until 1867.
J.W.HARRIES & COMPANY BREWERY is located at the site of the old METCALF & DISNEY’S BREWERY on the east side of Sycamore between Third and Fourth Streets and operates from 1847 to 1852.
Geo. M. Herancourt opens THE PHILADELPHIA BREWERY on Harrison Pike near Mill Creek and operates until 1881. In 1881 the brewery at 1400 Harrison was incorporated as the HERANCOURT BREWING COMPANY and operates until 1919 when the brewery was closed due to Prohibition. They did not reopen.
Thomas Drum operates THE CANAL BREWERY located at the northwest corner of Second and Smith Streets from 1848 to 1859.
George Middlewood Jr. and his brother, Matthew, succeeded their father and operated THE MIDDLEWOOD & BROTHER BREWERY from 1849 to 1852.
Peter Constans operates THE NEWPORT BREWERY located on the northwest corner of Monmuth & Liberty Streets in Newport, KY from 1850 to 1874. In 1874 Louis Constans takes over the operation of the brewery and operates it until 1876. At this time Louis is joined by August Constans and operations continue until 1877.
Karl Class and his brewmaster, John Bauer, operate THE CINCINNATI BREWERY at 465 Vine Street until it was closed about 2 years later. William Riedlin, founder of the BAVARIAN BREWING CO., operates his Tivoli Beer Garden at this location from 1878 to 1882.
Gottfried Koehler converts his barrel making shop into a brewery in 1850, named KOEHLER & CO. BREWERY aka: BUCKEYE STREET BREWERY. Conrad Windish is the superintendent of this small brewery on Buckeye Street (now East Clifton Ave.) from 1851 to 1854 when he leaves to join Christian Moerlein. The brewery operates through the 1860’s but is closed by 1870.
August Tieman and John Kauffmann operate THE JEFFERSON BREWERY located on the east side of Montgomery Pike (now Florence Ave.) from 1850 to 1857.
Joseph Niehaus establishes NIEHAUS BREWERY, an ale brewery, on Woodward (now 13th) and operates it from 1850 to 1862.
Joseph Schaller and Johann Schiff lease the Lofthouse EAGLE BREWERY on Fourth Street between Smith and John Streets and operate it from 1850 to 1857.
Francis Fortman expands THE FORTMAN BREWERY in 1850 by taking over the closed REILLY BREWERY at Congress and Pike Streets and operating it from 1850 to 1855.
John A. Schaffer brewed beer at 652 Main Street, SCHAFFER’S MAIN STREET BREWERY from 1851 to 1869. In 1869, John S. Schneider and John G. Elsenheimer purchase the MAIN STREET BREWERY from John A. Schaffer. In 1870, John S. Schneider becomes the sole owner of the brewery at 652 Main Street and operates it until 1871.
Jacob T. Fuchs and Andrew S. Sommer operate THE ST. LOUIS BREWERY located at 51 Hamilton Road (now McMicken Ave.) from 1852 to 1859.
Joseph Hofflein operates THE JOSEPH HOFFLEIN BREWERY located at 489 Vine near 14th Street from 1852 to 1853.
Matthew Spinner and Joseph Scott operate THE SPINNER AND SCOTT BREWERY located on Browne Street between the Miami-Erie Canal and Hamilton Road from 1852 to 1854.
David Harries, also spelled Harris, was the brewer at THE DAVID HARRIES BREWERY, located at 100 Sycamore Street from 1852 to 1864.In 1864, the name of this brewery is changed to THE J.W.HARRIES & COMPANY BREWERY. This facility operates until 1865.
Louis (Ludwig) Schneider establishes THE CITY BREWERY on the site of his barrel making factory on Augusta between John and Smith Streets close to the Ohio River. The brewery operates until 1857 when it is purchased by Herman Lackman and J J Sandman.
Christian Moerlein and Adam Dillmann establish THE ELM STREET BREWERY on the site of Moerlein’s blacksmith shop. The brewery is located at 711/712 Elm Street near Henry and operates until 1854 when Adam Dillmann dies. Conrad Windisch becomes Moerlein's partner at this time. In 1866, Moerlein buys out Conrad Windisch and becomes sole owner of the brewery.
George Middlewood Jr. and his brother, Matthew, move THE MIDDLEWOOD & BROTHER BREWERY to Hamilton Road near the Brighton House (Central Ave. near the intersection with Harrison and Colerain) and operate the brewery at the new location from 1853 to 1855.
Peter Herancourt builds THE BOX BREWERY aka: CENTRAL AVENUE BREWERY at Hamilton Road and Denman Street (now Central Ave. and Kindel Street). Herancourt leases the operation of the brewery to others and then in 1864, he sells the brewery to his brother, George Herancourt.
Peter Weyand and Daniel Jung establish THE WEYAND & JUNG BREWERY on the site of Jung’s blacksmith shop on Central Ave. They operate the brewery from 1854 to 1857.
Paul Endres, also known as Paul Andress, operates THE PAUL ENDRES BREWERY at 110 Hamilton Road (now McMicken Ave.) from 1854 to 1858.
Joseph Schaller and Johann Schiff purchased land on the Miami-Erie Canal near Plum Street and construct a new brewery which they operate from 1854 to 1866. They continued to use the EAGLE BREWERY name. In 1866 Schaller buys out Schiff and he becomes a partner with John Gerke. The brewery name becomes SCHALLER & GERKE, EAGLE BREWERY. They continue in business together until 1882.
Charles Geisbauer takes over the operation of THE COVINGTON BREWERY from 1855 to 1877.
The BOSS AND RAY BREWERY operates in the former Peter Jonte Brewery location until 1858 when Christian Boss buys out his partner and renames the brewery the CHRISTIAN BOSS BREWERY. This brewery operates under this name and later CHRISTIAN BOSS AND COMPANY until 1876.
John Ziegler, Henry Conradi and Johann Zettner operate THE KOSSUTH BREWERY at 490 Vine St. from 1855 to 1858. The brewery is named in honor of Louis Kossuth, the Hungarian Revolutionary.
Marhofer and Webben, also spelled Monhoffer and Weber, operate THE MARHOFER & WEBBEN BREWERY aka: WESTERN BREWERY located at 572 Western Ave. (now Central Ave.) from 1855 to 1856.
John B Garnier opens the John Garnier Brewery in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. The brewery operates until 1857 when Garnier purchases the Kosmos Frederick Brewery. In 1866, Garnier constructs a larger brewery at Third and Shipping which he operates until his death in 1897. At the time his son-in-law Victor Oberting takes over brewery operations. The brewery closes for good in 1916.
John Hare, also spelled Haire, was the sole owner of THE OHIO BREWERY located on the west side of Lebanon Road between Boal and Corporate Line. The brewery operates from 1856 to 1863.
William Hoffmeister opens THE HOFFMEISTER BREWERY in 1856 on the north side of Lick Run Pike and operates it until 1873 when he closes the brewery and opens a saloon.
Ferninand Mueller & C. H. Gogreve operate the former REILLY BREWERY which they rename THE CONGRESS BREWERY. Located at the southeast corner of Congress and Pike (now Pearl & Pike) the brewery operates until 1874. After 1874, this facility becomes a Malt House operated by the Burger Brothers.
Michael Beck operates the small BECK BREWERY at 59 Harrison Road from 1856 to 1857.
Joseph Hochenleitner starts THE BRIGHTON BREWERY at 83/87 Harrison Road and Division Street in 1856. The brewery operates until 1859.
Charles and Daniel G. Glossner start THE GLOSSNER BREWERY at 1220 Vine Street and operate it from1856 to 1863.
|Johann Casper Bruckmann and his brother Friedrich start THE CUMMINSVILLE BREWERY at the family farm in Cumminsville in 1856 and operate it until 1858.|
Herman Lackman and J. J. Sandman purchase THE CITY BREWERY from Louis Schneider and operate it at the Augusta Street location until 1860. In 1860, Schneider purchases the brewery back from Lackman & Sandman and continues operating until 1867. In 1867, the brewery is run for a short time by John Foss and Peter Schneider (Louis' son) when the site is sold to Mitchell and Rammelsberg Furniture Company.
Joseph Scott, also spelled Schutt or Schott, operates THE JOSEPH SCOTT BREWERY located at 72 Browne Street (now McMicken Ave.)from 1857 to 1860.
FREDERICK DITHMAR and COMPANY operated by Frederick Dithmar and Clement Taylor brews at 53/57 Smith Street from 1857 to 1858.
The Middlewoods move their brewery to 249 West Fourth Street and change the name to the BUCKEYE BREWERY which should not be confused with KOEHLER’S BUCKEYE BREWERY. The Middlewoods close the brewery in 1860.
Frank and Joseph Levick, also spelled Linck, operate THE LEVICK BREWERY located at 77 Hamilton Road (now McMicken Ave.) from 1857 to 1860.
Peter Weyand and Daniel Jung establish THE WESTERN BREWERY at the southwest corner of Freeman and Bank Streets and operate it from 1857 to 1879. In 1879, Weyand and Jung are joined by Max Hellman and together they operate this brewery until 1885. In 1885, after the deaths of Peter Weyand and Daniel Jung, the brewery at 2011/2055 Freeman and Bank Streets was reorganized as the Jung Brewing Co. In 1890, the brewery is sold to an English syndicate and merges with Cincinnati Breweries Co. who manages the Crescent Brewing Co. of Aurora, IN. They operate until 1908 when the name is changed back to Jung Brewing Co., Western Brewery.
The brewery that started on the Bruckmann farm in Cumminsville in 1856 begins using THE BRUCKMANN BROTHERS BREWERY, CUMMINSVILLE BREWERY name in this year. In 1872 John C. Bruckmann buys out his brothers share of the brewery and becomes sole owner of THE CUMMINSVILLE BREWERY. He operates this brewery until 1891.
Matthew Bettinger, an agent for Mathias Hauser & Co., operates THE PARK BREWERY at the southeast corner of 13th and Race from 1858 to 1859. In 1859, Charles Rebstock replaces Bettinger as the agent for Mathias Hauser & Co and Rebstock operates THE PARK BREWERY until 1861. John Dieterle and Arnold Fricke operate THE PARK BREWERY from 1860 to 1861.
Leonard Bauer becomes a partner with Michael Beck and together they operate the brewery at 59 Harrison Road. The brewery is renamed THE M. BECK & BAUER BREWERY and the partnership operates until 1864 when Bauer leaves to open his own brewery on Hamilton Road. At this time the brewery returns to the BECK BREWERY name and operates until 1867.
Charles Heintz establishes THE CHARLES HEINTZ & CO. BREWERY on the east side of Montgomery Pike (now Florence Ave.) and operates it from 1858 to 1861.
Henry Conradi and Henruy Koch operate THE CONRADI & CO BREWERY at 338 Hamilton Road near Mohawk in 1858. Later in this same year William F. Strueve joins the partnership and the brewery operates until 1859 as THE STRUEVE BREWERY. At this time Conradi leaves to joint Ludwig Ziegler and Stueve continues operations until 1863.
Thomas Drum changes the name of his CANAL BREWERY to THE WHITEWATER CANAL BREWERY and operates it along with William Walker from 1859 to 1863.
Frank Weber operates THE FRANK WEBER BREWERY located at 648 Main near Schiller Street from 1859 to 1860.
George Schmeid operates THE GEORGE SCHMEID BREWERY located at 110 Hamilton Road (now McMicken Ave.) from 1859 to 1860.
Henry Meyer operates THE HENRY MEYER ALE BREWERY located on the southwest corner of 12th and Elm Streets from 1859 to 1860.
Abraham Payne and William Gold operate THE PAYNE & COMPANY BREWERY located at 14 Providence Street from 1859 to 1862. In 1862, they move the brewery to the west side of the Miami Canal between Liberty and Findlay. The brewery closes in 1862.
THE BRIGHTON BREWERY located at the southwest corner of Division and Harrison Road is operated by Louis Bruck from 1859 to 1861.
David Rohs, Nicholas Martin and Louis Mischler start THE ROHS & CO. BREWERY located on Rohs Hill (later named Fairview Heights) in 1859 and operate it until 1862. At this time, Sara Rohs operates this brewery after her husband’s death. The Probate Court awarded the brewery to John Zelter who then sold the land and brewery to Nicholas and Magdalena Hertle. The brewery is on the west side of Vine Street between Mulberry and Milk Streets far removed from the other breweries in the city. The brewery is very hard to reach until the Bellevue Incline is built in 1876.
THE VINE STREET BREWERY expands and is now located on both sides of Vine north of Liberty and south of Green Street. In 1859 the brewery changes its name to KAUFFMAN AND COMPANY. Operations continue until 1882 when the brewery is incorporated as the JOHN KAUFFMAN BREWING CO. Operations continue until 1919 when Prohibition becomes law and the brewery shuts down.
Herman Lackman and J. H. Sandman open THE LACKMAN AND SANDMAN BREWERY at Sixth and Stone Streets and operate it from 1860 to 1868. In 1868, Lackman buys out Sandman and renames the brewery HERMAN LACKMAN BREWING CO., UNITED STATES BREWERY. THE HERMAN LACKMAN BREWING CO., UNITED STATES BREWERY operates until 1890.
Paul Christian and Herman Hipp take over control of the BAVARIAN BREWERY, change the name to P.C.W. HIPP & CO. BREWERY and operate the brewery located at the southwest corner of 12th and Clay Streets from 1860 to 1861. At that time, Francis Fortmann again assumes control and he operates the brewery until 1865 when it closes.
THE FRANK HONE BREWERY is located at the northeast corner of Stevens and 12th Streets in Covington, KY and operates from 1860 to 1861. In 1861 Henry Wichman and Joseph Duvenek purchase the brewery rename it THE WICHMANN & CO. BREWERY and operate the facility from 1861 to 1866.
Charles Holle along with Peter Beerdink open THE CHARLES HOLLE & CO. BREWERY located at 126 Cutter Street in 1860 and operate it until 1861.
Frank Stade operates THE STADE BREWERY located on the northeast corner of Fourth and Main Streets in Covington, KY from 1860 to 1861
Ludwig Ziegler takes control of THE KOSSUTH BREWERY from John Ziegler and Henry Conradi and operates it from 1860 to 1866.
Margaret Duhme and William Schild operate THE LEXINGTON BREWERY located on the north side of the Lexington Pike between Lewis and Western Row in Covington, KY from 1860 to 1866. In 1866, H .H. Kurre and Felix Fritz take over the LEXINGTON BREWERY from Duhme & Co, and 1866 rename it H. H. KURRE & CO. BREWERY and operate it until 1868.
Richard Lampe and Ferdinand Hildebrandt operate THE LAMPE & HILDEBRANDT BREWERY located at 18 Mercer Street in Over-the-Rhine for one year.
THE GUSTAVE A. HUSER BREWERY is located on Hamilton Road near the north boundary of the city and operates from 1861 to 1863.
Captain Henry Niehaus operates THE HENRY NIEHAUS BREWERY located on Sycamore Street near 13th from 1861 to 1868.
J.A.Skiff and Marion Hall operate THE SKIFF AND HALL BREWERY located on Eleventh Street in Covington near the Licking Iron Works from 1861 to 1866.
John Burkholz opens THE BURKHOLZ BREWERY on Lebanon Pike in 1861. It remains open for less than a year.
THE EGERS BREWERY operates on Colerain Road in Colerain Township during the Civil War. It is located next to Camp Colerain.
Joseph Schaller buys out his partner, Johann Schiff, and continues to operate THE EAGLE BREWERY. In 1866, John Gerke becomes a partner in the business and the brewery operates until 1882.
Charles Heintz and Jacob Kurtz start THE JEFFERSON BREWERY at the foot of Walnut Hill in 1861 and operate it until 1862.
THE BERNARD EITH BREWERY is located on the west side of Vine Street between Mulberry and Milk (now Hollister) Streets. The brewery operates until 1863.
George Eichenlaub and Matthias Firnkaes operate THE EICHENLAUB & FIRNKAES BREWERY in Walnut Hills from 1862 to 1865.
Joseph Niehaus moves his brewery to the southwest corner of Race and 13th Streets to the site of THE PARK BREWERY and begins using the Park Brewery name. Niehaus and his partner George Bach had purchased the brewery for the purpose of producing lager beer. They operate the brewery from 1862 to 1872.
Conrad Windisch operated THE C. WINDISCH & CO. BREWERY on the north side of Lexington Pike between Lewis and Ludlow in Covington for one year.
Clements O. Billerbeck operates THE BILLERBECK BREWERY at 189 East Pearl Street in 1862.
Rothertt and Groene operate THE BOX BREWERY aka: CENTRAL AVENUE BREWERY at Hamilton Road and Denman Street from 1862 to 1864.
Louis Schneider moves to Freeman Ave. and Court Street and establishes THE LOUIS SCHNEIDER BREWING CO, QUEEN CITY BREWERY where he operates until 1867.
THE JOHN DRAPPER BREWERY is located at the northwest corner of Smith and Second Streets and operates from 1863 to 1865. The brewery was housed in the former CANAL BREWERY building.
John Hauck and John Ulrich Windisch start the HAUCK AND WINDISCH BREWERY (aka THE DAYTON STREET BREWERY) on Dayton Street near Central Ave. This brewery operates until 1879 when John Hauck buys out his partner. Hauck renames the brewery the John Hauck Brewery and operations continue until 1881.
Frank Rothert operates THE FRANK ROTHERT BREWERY located on the east side of Colerain Pike near the Corporate Line from 1864 to 1865.
THE HENRY KALDEMORGEN BREWERY is located at 819 Vine Street and operates in 1864 for less than one year.
George M. Herancourt operates THE GEORGE M. HERANCOURT BREWERY located at the corner of Freeman and Denman Streets from 1864 to 1866.
Joseph Renner becomes a partner with John Hochenleitner and they operate THE BRIGHTON BREWERY until 1866 when Joseph Renner takes over and renames the brewery, JOSEPH RENNER & CO.
GLOSSNER’S SALOON & BREWERY becomes the center of social life for the local German beer drinkers. Other saloons had to have their beer delivered but Glossners has its brewery in the same building. In 1867, Adam Beltz takes over control of the brewery and operates it until 1868. Glossner's Saloon and Brewery is located at 436 Vine Street.
E. W. Firnkaes opens THE FIRNKAES BREWERY in 1865 in Walnut Hills and closes it one year later.
Louisa Brueck operates THE LOUISA BRUECK BREWERY located at 62 13th Street from 1865 to 1866.
Leonard Bauer establishes THE BAUER BREWERY at 49 Hamilton Road (now McMicken Ave.). Bauer had been Karl Class’ partner on Vine Street and Michael Beck’s partner on Harrison Road. The brewery operates until 1871.
J. F. Frommeyer and his sons operate THE J. F. FROMMEYER & SONS BREWERY located on the northwest corner of Smith and Second Streets from 1865 to 1866.
Conrad Windisch along with Heinrich and Gottlieb Muhlhauser (originally spelled Muehlhaueser) construct THE WINDISCH-MUHLHAUSER BREWING CO. aka: LION BREWERY on the west side of the Miami-Erie Canal between Wade and Liberty Streets and operate it from 1866 to 1919. A lion rested atop each of the two gables which led to the business being referred to as the LION BREWERY.
Charles Lang and Frank Knoll operate THE LEWISBURG BREWERY aka: CHAS. LANG & CO. located on the northwest corner of Lewis and Baker Streets in Covington from 1866 to 1884.
George A. Seibert and Ernst Koegel operated THE SEIBERT AND KOEGEL BREWERY located at 62 13th Street from 1866 to 1867. The brewery is housed in the former LOUISA BRUECK BREWERY.
Henry Meyers operates THE HENRY MEYERS BREWERY located at the northeast corner of 11th and Busch in Covington from 1866 to 1867.
Frank Wetterer operates THE FRANK WETTERER BREWERY located on Rohs Hill, also spelled Ross Hill, during 1866.
George Klotter leaves his partner, Johann Sohn, and starts THE GEORGE KLOTTER BREWERY located on the south side of Browne (now 611 West McMicken Ave.) opposite Freeman Ave. Kotter’s two sons, George and Louis join the brewery in 1867, the brewery is renamed THE GEORGE KLOTTER AND SONS BREWERY, and operations continue until 1881.
John F. Frommeyer operates the former GEORGE M. HERANCOURT BREWERY at the corner of Freeman and Denman from 1866 to 1867. The brewery is renamed THE JOHN F. FROMMEYER BREWERY.
THE S. S. ASHCRAFT & CO. BREWERY operates for one year in the former J.W.HARRIES & CO. BREWERY located at 100 Sycamore Street between Third and Fourth Streets.
JOSEPH RENNER & CO. brewery at the southwest corner of Division and Harrison Road is operated by Joseph Renner from 1866 to 1870. George Renner took over the brewery in 1870 and closes it.
John Butcher operates THE JOHN BUTCHER BREWERY on Columbia Street in Newport, KY from 1866 to 1870.
Issac Snyder open the Alexandria Brewery in Alexandria, Kentucky. In 1874 August Meister takes over operations and in 1882 Meister takes on Mueller as a partner. The brewery located at 204 Washington St closes for good in 1884.
Schneider’s son Peter and his partner John Foss take over the operation of
THE LOUIS SCHNEIDER BREWING CO. for part of 1867.
Later in 1867, John Brenner joins the partnership, they rename the brewery THE FOSS, SCHNEIDER, AND BRENNER BREWERY and operate at Freeman and Court Streets until 1877. At that time John Brenner is bought out of the business and the brewery becomes the FOSS SCHNEIDER BREWERY which operates until 1884.
Julius DeGlow and Charles Best operate THE DeGLOW & CO. BREWERY located on Pike Street between Main and John Streets in Covington, KY from 1867 to 1868.
The S. S. ASHCRAFT & CO. BREWERY is taken over by J. H. Dyett and D. Thatcher. The name changes to THE DYETT & THATCHER BREWERY and they operate it until 1870. J .H. Dyett becomes the sole owner when D. Thatcher leaves the partnership and Dyett operates the brewery until it closes in 1872.
William Bogen becomes Michael Beck's partner in the brewery at 59 Harrison Road. This brewery, THE BECK AND BOGEN BREWERY, operates until 1871.
Henry Nordloh and Barry Lottmann known as Nordloh & Co. open THE LICKING BREWERY located on the south side of 11th Street between Stevens and the Licking River in Covington, KY. By 1868, Nordloh had left the business and Lottmann was in business by himself. The brewery closes prior to 1870.
Michael Seiler and Michael Ehrmann operate THE SEILER & CO. BREWERY located on the south side of Pike Street opposite Main in Covington, KY from 1867 to 1868.
Jacob Elsas and Isaac Strauss purchase the old ROHS BREWERY from Nicholas and Magdalena Hertle, changed the name to THE CLIFTON BREWERY and operate it from 1867 to 1868. In 1870, Jacob Elsas buys out Isaac Strauss and sells the brewery to John Meyer, John B. Hagel and John Henry Thamann who operate the brewery until 1871.
John Sohn is joined by Louis Johngen and Heinrich Schlosser in the operation of THE HAMILTON BREWERY at 330 Hamilton Road (now McMicken Ave.) from 1867 to 1870.
By 1867, Adam Belz had taken over the Glossner Brewery aka Adam Blez and Company. In 1867, Adam Belz had taken Adam Noelp as a partner. The Belz and Noelp Brewery continues operations until 1869.
John H. Herzog begins operating THE JOHN H. HERZOG & CO BREWERY located at 532 Lexington Pike in Covington, KY in 1868. In 1874, he is joined by Philip Animan and they operate the brewery until 1876.
George Renner joins with Julius DeGlow and Charles Best to operate THE DeGLOW, BEST & RENNER BREWERY on Pike Street in Covington from 1868 to 1872.
A. & G. Yarold operate THE STONE JUG BREWERY on Wearman Ave. during 1868.
Christian Moerlein builds a new brewery at the northeast corner of Elm and Henry Streets named The Christian Moerlein Brewing Co. By 1880, Moerlein is the largest brewery in Cincinnati as well as the state of Ohio. The brewery continues operating until 1919 when Prohibition becomes law.
Alexis Darusmont, an experienced brewer, becomes the owner of THE LAFAYETTE BREWERY. He operates the brewery at 184 Hamilton Road near Vine until his death in 1873. At this time his wife Margaret operates the brewery until 1878 when it was closed. The buildings are sold in 1882 to Albert Schwill who sold brewery supplies.
George Wiedemann joins George Butcher as a partner in THE JOHN BUTCHER BREWERY. THE BUTCHER AND WIEDEMANN BREWERY operates on Columbia Street in Newport, Kentucky until 1878.
Louis Meier operates THE LOUIS MEIER BREWERY located at 368 Hamilton Road for less than a year.
Frederich and Heinrich Schmidt sell their grocery store and purchase Peter Herancourt’s BOX BREWERY at the southeast corner of Central Ave. and Kindel Street. THE H. SCHMIDT & BRO. BREWERY operates from 1870 to 1876.
The brewery at 328 McMicken is renamed THE J. G. SOHN & CO. BREWERY and is operated from 1870 to 1890 by John Sohn’s sons, John Jr., William and Edward.
Arnold Ordeng opens THE ARNOLD ORDENG BREWERY located at 220 Clark Street east of Baymiller in 1870 and operates it for about one year before closing.
Aloys Beuter and Gustav Betting found THE BEUTER & BETTING BREWERY in Sedamsville, west of downtown Cincinnati, on River Road. They operate until 1875 when the brewery is closed.
Michael Mueller becomes a partner with John S. Schneider and together they operate THE MAIN STREET BREWERY from 1871 to 1875 at 652 Main Street. In 1875 Mueller buys out his partner, renames the brewery, MUELLER’S MAIN STREET BREWERY and continues operations until 1880. At this time August Frockling becomes Muellers partner and they operate the brewery until 1882.
George Bach, also spelled Beck and/or Bock, operates THE GEORGE BACH BREWERY located at the former BAUER BREWERY at 49 Hamilton Road (now McMicken) from 1871 to 1875.
Peter Noll establishes THE PETER NOLL BREWERY at 478 Vine but it lasts only a year and is closed in 1873.
Louis Weber operates THE LOUIS WEBER BREWERY located at the northwest corner of Busch and Wheeler Streets in Covington, KY for one year in 1872.
Charles Best and George Renner separate from Julius DeGlow and open their own brewery THE BEST & RENNER BREWERY By 1873, Best was the sole proprietor and he changes the name to THE BAVARIAN BREWERY. The brewery is located at 367 Pike Street in Covington, KY and operates until 1877.
Heinrich Klinckhammer becomes Joseph Niehaus’ partner in THE PARK BREWERY and together they operate it from 1872 to 1884.
THE CLIFTON BREWERY is leased to Henry Schwanke who operates the brewery until 1885.
George Weber gains control of THE JACKSON BREWERY after the death of the Kleiner brothers and operate it until 1884.
H. Niemeyer Jr. operates H. NIEMEYER & CO. BREWERY in Covington from 1874 to 1875.
Phillip Hirsch operates the Phillip Hirsch Brewery in Anderson from 1874-1875.
Friedrich Schmidt and Henry Adam purchase the former GEORGE BACH BREWERY, open as THE SCHMIDT and ADAM BREWERY at 43/47 Hamilton Road and operate it for less than a year. Later in 1875 Adam sells his share of the brewery to Louis Prell and the brewery is renamed THE SCHMIDT AND PRELL BREWERY. This brewery operates through 1876 when Prell dies and his window sell his share back to Friedrich Schmidt. Later that same year, Heinrich Schmidt returns to brewing and the brewery becomes THE SCHMIDT and BRO. BREWERY. This brewery operates until 1891.
John Henry Steinriede operates THE STEINRIEDE BREWERY located on Pike Street east of Western Row in Covington, KY from 1876 to 1878. At this time Henry Wehming joins Steinriede and the name of the brewery changes to THE STEINRIEDE & WEHMING BREWERY and the operation continues until 1881.
Gambrinus is the mythological god of beer.
Frank Dixon operates THE DIXON BREWERY located at 243 Sycamore Street. The brewery closes before year end.
THE KNORR, RUSH AND SCHAUB BREWERY owned by George Knorr, Charles Rush and Fredrick Schaub operate the brewery at 367 Pike Street in Covington, KY from 1877 to 1878.
John Butcher and Schussler purchase the old Peter Constans NEWPORT BREWERY, rename it THE SCHUSSLER & BUTCHER BREWERY and operate it from 1877 to 1880.
Louis Geisbauer takes over the operation of THE COVINGTON BREWERY from 1877 to 1880.
Deppe & Co. operated THE DEPPE & COMPANY BREWERY in Newport, KY during 1878.
George Wiedemann becomes the sole proprietor when he purchases Butcher’s share of the business at 151/159 Columbia Street in Newport, KY. The renamed GEORGE WIEDEMANN BREWERY continues operations until 1882 when they purchase the CONSTANS BREWERY location to be used as a malt house.
James W. Gaff and S. F. Langtree operate THE GAFF & CO. BREWERY at Evans and River Road from 1878 to 1879.
Peter Andrews and Conrad Schultz purchase two of Walker’s nephew’s shares of THE JOHN WALKER & CO. BREWERY and start their own brewery which they operate from 1878 to 1885. In 1885, Peter Andrews and Conrad Schultz form a corporation and change the name of the brewery to THE J. WALKER BREWING CO.. In 1886, the brewery is damaged by fire but they recover, reopen and operate until 1912.
Charles Rush and Anton Meyer operate THE BAVARIAN BREWERY at 367 Pike Street in Covington, KY from 1878 to 1879. In 1879 John Meyer takes over the brewery operation and continues until 1882.
THE WALKER BROS. BREWERY is operated by Andrew and James Walker, nephews of brewer John Walker, from 1879 to 1884. The brewery is located at the southeast corner of Clark and Harriet Streets. From 1879 to 1881, this operation is also know as THE CHAMPION ALE & PORTER BREWERY.
Deppe & Co. operate the SCHUSSLER & BUTCHER BREWERY from 1880 to 1882.
John Brenner and John Seiler purchase THE COVINGTON BREWERY operate it from 1880 to 1886. In 1886 John Brenner buys out his partner and continues to operate the brewery until 1888.
Henry L Adams opens THE HENRY ADAMS BREWERY on the west side of the Canal between Straight Street and Marshall Avenue. The brewery which is also known as THE CAMP WASHINGTON BREWERY operates until 1907.
Joseph Wahle and Henry Husman using THE INDEPENDENT BREWING CO. brew beer for the Fifth Street Garden Saloon from 1881 to 1882. The brewery is located on Fifth between John and Central Ave.
In operation from 1881-1882, THE WEST HAMILTON BREWERY is located on German Street (renamed English Street during World War I.
THE WINDISCH-MUHLHAUSER BREWING CO. opens and incorporates this year. Located on the west side of the Miami-Erie Canal the brewery operates until 1919.
THE CRESCENT BREWING CO. of Aurora, IN, operate a brewery located at the northwest corner of River Road and Evans Street where the GAFF & CO. BREWERY had been located. The Crescent Brewing Co. operates this plant from 1882 to1894.
William Riedlin joins with John Meyer in THE MEYER-RIEDLIN/BAVARIAN BREWERY at 367 Pike Street in Covington, KY. They operate the brewery from 1882 to 1889.
Michael, William and Peter Schaller leave the SCHALLER & GERKE, EAGLE BREWERY and purchase the MUELLER MAIN STREET BREWERY thus establishing THE SCHALLER BROS., MAIN STREET BREWERY. The Schaller brothers operate the brewery from 1882 to 1896. At this time the Schaller brothers change the name of the brewery to the SCHALLER BREWING CO. and operate the brewery until 1919 when Prohibition forces them to close.
After John Gerke‘s death, his son, George, takes his place in the brewery and the business is incorporated as THE GERKE BREWING CO. In 1904, a new building is erected but is soon sold to the French-Bauer Dairy and the Gerke Brewing Co. is out of business by 1912.
Christian Kinsinger acting as an assignee for Klotter and Sons operates THE KLOTTER & SONS BREWERY from 1882 to 1888.
THE JOHN KAUFFMAN BREWING CO. operates in the former KOEHLER BREWERY on Buckeye Street near Fritz Street. Owned by John Kaufman this brewery operates from 1883 to 1885.
John Seiler, formerly of Brenner and Seiler’s COVINGTON BREWERY gains financial control and operates THE LEWISBURG BREWERY from 1884 to 1892. On October 1,1890 a large portion of the brewery is destroyed by fire; however, John Seiler keeps the brewery going until 1892 when it was closes.
THE FOSS-SCHNEIDER BREWING CO. incorporates in 1884 and operates until the beginning of Prohibition.
THE GEORGE WEBER BREWING CO. is incorporated in 1884. On July 4, 1887 the brewery is destroyed by fire when a Roman candle accidentally ignites the malt house and the brewery burns to the ground. George Weber has to declare bankruptcy later that year and sells the brewery.
Henrich Klinckhammer Jr. becomes his father’s partner in H. KLINCKHAMMER & SON BREWERY and they operate it from 1884 to 1888.
The CLIFTON BREWERY is leased to Louis Lienhart who changes the name to THE ROHS HILL BREWING CO. This brewery operates until 1888. In 1888, the brewery is demolished to make room for the Jacob Elsas Subdivision.
Luis (Ludwig) Hudepohl Jr. and George H. Kolte sell their liquor store to purchase the JOHN KAUFFMAN BREWING CO. on Buckeye Street near Frintz Street (now 77/79 Clifton Ave.). They operate THE BUCKEYE BREWERY from 1885 to 1899.
THE GERMANIA BREWING CO. is located at the southwest corner of 947/951 Central Ave. and Mohawk operates from 1885 to 1891.
The WEYAND BREWING CO. located on the northeast corner of Walnut and Canal Streets incorporates under the name, BANNER BREWING CO. and operates from 1887 to 1897.
The former site of the GEORGE WEBER BREWING CO. is purchased by Leo A. Brigel, E. W. Kittredge and Lawrence Maxwell and reincorporates as the JACKSON BREWING CO. They operate until 1919 when the brewery is closed due to Prohibition.
THE ADAM SCHULTZ BREWING CO. is located on Thinnes Street off Quebec Road and Western Ave. The brewery operates from 1888 to 1891.
THE BELLEVUE BREWING CO. is located in the former KLOTTER & SONS BREWERY building and operates from 1888 to 1919.
John Brenner changes the name of the COVINGTON BREWERY to THE JOHN BRENNER BREWING CO and continues to operate it until 1910.
John Klinckhammer operates THE PARK BREWERY at the southwest corner of Race and 13th Streets from 1888 to 1890.
William Riedlin buys out John Meyer and reorganizes the brewery on Pike Street as THE BAVARIAN BREWING CO. By 1914, they are the largest brewery in the state of Kentucky. The brewery operates until 1919 when the brewery closes due to Prohibition.
Herman Lackman incorporates his brewery as the Herman Lackman Brewing Company. Operations continue until 1919 when Prohibition becomes law in the United States.
Charles Wiedemann and George Wiedemann Jr. take over THE GEO. WIEDEMANN BREWING CO. after their father dies. They operate the brewery at 623/637 Columbia Street until 1919 when the brewery closes due to Prohibition.
The JOHN C. BRUCKMANN BREWING CO. name is adopted by the brewery and used until 1901.
Casper Becker purchases the ADAM SCHULTZ BREWING CO. renames it THE BECKER BREWING CO. and operates it from 1891 to 1899.
John Wetterer establishes THE GERMANIA BREWING CO. located at 2121/2133 Central Ave. and operates it until 1902.The brewery grows out of the Queen City Malt Company which Wetterer started in 1863.
After Heinrich Schmidt dies, Friedrich Schmidt forms a stock company and renames the brewery THE SCHMIDT BROTHERS BREWING CO. When Friedrich dies in 1898 his widow takes over the brewery and operates it until 1904.
From 1892 to 1895, B. F. Graziani and Theodore Sehlhorst become owners of the old LEWISBURG BREWERY and in 1895 change its name to THE PHOENIX BREWERY. From 1895 to 1904, the old PHOENIX BREWERY name is changed to THE COVINGTON BREWING CO. This business should not be confused with the COVINGTON BREWERY.
THE CINCINNATI CONSUMERS BREWING CO is located on the northeast corner of Walnut and Canal Streets in the former BANNER BREWING CO. site. This brewery operates from 1897 to 1898.
From 1898 to 1900, the old BECKER BREWING CO. operated under THE BARTELS BROS. BREWING CO. name.
After George H. Kolter’s death, the name of the brewery is changed to the HUDEPOHL BREWING CO. Louis Hudepohl operates the brewery until 1919 when Prohibition becomes law. The brewery stays open and switches to the production of near beer, vichy water and soft drinks during this time; however, by 1928 all production ceases.
The brewery at 244/252 McMicken operates under THE WILLIAM S. SOHN BREWING CO. name from 1900 to 1907.
Otto Neukrich, Dr. J. T. Ralston and John Ralston operate THE RALSTON-NEUKRICH BREWING CO. located at 808 Wilmink. This brewery produced Weiss Beer from 1900 to 1902.
THE WILLIAM S SOHN BREWING CO is renamed due to the deaths of both J G Sohn Jr and Sr. During this period J Edward leaves the brewery to joint the SCHALLER MAIN STREET BREWERY. William Sohn continues operations with this name until his death in 1902 when his widow takes over the brewery. Lena Jung Sohn runs the brewery until 1907.
April-Henry Bruckmann passes away.
The BRUCKMANN BREWING COMPANY operates until 1919 when prohibition begins. Bruckmann did not close. Instead they produced Aristocrat Cereal Beverage, a near beer, and Malt tonic, a beverage for the invalid.
From 1902 to 1919 the old BARTELS BROS. BREWING CO. operate under the name of FAIRMONT BREWING CO. Upon repeal of Prohibition, they apply for a license; however, they never reopen.
John Wetterer changes the name of his GERMANIA BREWING CO. to WETTERER BREWING CO. and operates it until 1919 when it was closes due to Prohibition. The brewery never reopens.
THE COVINGTON BREWING CO.
is renamed THE COVINGTON STAR BREWING CO and operates until 1905 when it
THE OHIO UNION BREWING CO. is built on the corner of Garrard Street and Spring Grove Ave. and it operates until 1915 when the name is changed to CINCINNATI HOME BREWING CO. Operations continue until Prohibition becomes law in 1919. During Prohibition this facility operates as Cincinnati Beverage & Products Co.
The MOHAWK BREWING CO. located at the corner of McMicken and Stonewall operates until Prohibition. A federal raid of the facility in 1925 results in the brewery being shut down.
Henry L. Adam Jr. operates THE ADAM BREWING CO. located on the west side of the Miami-Erie Canal between Straight Street and Marshall Ave. under this name until prohibition when the company switches to the ice business and never returns to brewing.
Phillip Jung takes over control of the JOHN BRENNER BREWING CO. at Scott and Pike Streets in Covington KY and changes the name to the PHILLIP JUNG BREWING CO. This brewery operates until 1919.
The CINCINNATI HOME BREWING CO. takes over the former OHIO UNION BREWING CO. at Spring Grove Ave. and Garrard Street and operate it until 1919.
The Jung family closes the Western Brewery located at 771 Freeman Avenue.
January- Nebraska becomes the 36th state to adopt National Prohibition.
October-The United States Congress passes the Volstead Act which gives federal agents enforcement authority for prohibition.
January 20- Prohibition becomes law.
Breweries are only permitted to manufacture beer with less than 1/2 of 1% alcohol (near beer). Many Cincinnati Breweries manufacture soft drinks, root beer and ice during this period. The Schaller Brewing Company and The Mohawk Brewing Co are shut down during the period by the federal government for making beer that is too high in alcohol content. The George Wiedemann Brewery faces a huge fine for the same infraction.
The Bruckmann Brewing Co did not close during prohibition, instead they made Aristocrat Cereal Beverage, a near beer, and Malt Tonic, a beverage for the invalid.