|Cincinnati Brewing History-After the Noble Experiment 1932-1986|
Franklin Delano Roosevelt is elected president of the United States with a plurality of 7,000,000 votes. A main plank in his platform is a call to repeal prohibition. On March 22, 1933, Roosevelt signs the Cullen/Harrison Act legalizing 3.2% beer on April 7, 1933. In November of 1933, Utah becomes the 36th state to vote for the repeal of National Prohibition.
The following breweries opened in the year following the repeal:
|The Bruckmann Brewing Company was the only Cincinnati area brewery that continued to make near beer so they were able to ship beer at 12:01 am on April 7, 1933 from their location at Ludlow and the Canal.|
The Old Munich Brewery begins operations the the old Christian Moerlien facility at 2019 Elm Street. This Brewery operates until 1937.
|The George Wiedemann Brewery reopens at 601 Columbia Street in Newport Kentucky.|
|The Vienna Brewing Company, 312 Elliot Street and 322 Reading Road, occupies the former Gambrinus Stock Brewing Company site and reopens in this year. By 1940, this brewery is bankrupt and out of business.|
|The Clyffside Brewing Company purchase the buildings of the former Mohawk Brewing Company at 242 McMicken Avenue and begin brewing.|
The Foss Schneider Company reopens at 943/1005 Freeman Avenue and operates until November 1937.
|Louis Ullman and Edgar Mack Jr. maintain a lease on the brewing plant of the JOHN HAUCK BREWING CO. at 421 Dayton Street and 1747 Central Avenue and open it as the Redtop Brewery.|
The Hudepohl Brewing Company reopens its brewery at 77/79 Clifton Avenue. This would later become Plant #1.
The JACKSON BREWING CO, at West McMicken and Elm, becomes the property of the Squibb-Pattison Breweries, Inc.; however, they are unable to make the brewery a viable enterprise and sell the operation to a group of Detroit, MI investors in 1934.
The Schaller Brewing Co., despite its legal problems, reopens at 1622/32 Main Street after the repeal of Prohibition and finally closes in 1941.
The Lion Brewery begins production after repeal and operates for one year at Central Parkway and Liberty Street.
The Schoenling Brewing & Malting Co., Inc. is
constructed on the site of the Schoenling Coal & Ice Company. This brewery
begins operations using The Schoenling Brewing & Ice Company
Squibb/Pattison Beverages:aka Old Jackson Brewery located at 200/220 W. McMicken and Elm Street reincorporates as the Jackson Brewing Co. and operate until 1942 when financial problems force them to close.
In order to meet post prohibition demand for product Bruckmann Brewing purchases the Cincinnati Home Brewing location at 2960/2974 Spring Grove Ave. and operate it as Plant #2 until 1949.
The Bavarian Brewery at 528 West 12th Street in Covington, Kentucky reopens and operate until 1937 when William, Louis, and Chris Schott purchase the brewery.
Burger Brewing takes on sponsorship of the Cincinnati Reds radio broadcast on WKRC. Burger also sponsors a weekly music program called "Burger Music Time". "Burger Music Time" featured a ever changing roster of singers each accompanied by Ruth Lyons on either the piano or the organ.
The Schoenling Brewing & Ice Co. change their name to the Schoenling Brewing Co.
The first commercial television broadcast in Cincinnati occurs when a Golden Gloves title bout is sponsored by Wiedemann Beer. This bout airs on station W8XCT a week before it becomes WLWT.
Louis Ullman and Edgar Mack Jr. purchase the Clyffside Brewery at 242 McMicken Ave. and Stonewall Street and start Plant #2 of the Red Top Brewing Co. The brewery becomes one of the largest in Ohio.
The former Heidelberg Brewery in Covington is purchased by Bavarian Brewery. This becomes Plant #2 and operates until 1955.
Hudepohl Brewing Company consolidates all of its brewing activity at the Fifth Street near Baymiller location.
Burger Brewing Co. purchases the Burkhart Brewery in Akron, OH and operate the plant until 1964 when it is closed.
February- International Breweries Inc. of Detroit, Michigan purchase The Bavarian Brewing Company in Covington. International Breweries operate this brewery until 1966 when it closes.
March-The Burger Brewing Co. closes its doors. Hudepohl Brewing Company purchases the brewery, acquire the rights to their brands, and continue to produce the Burger line of beers.
G. Heileman Brewing Co. closes the George Wiedemann brewery in Newport, KY. The Wiedemann brands are moved to other G. Heileman facilities with most of the Cincinnati area product being brewed at their Evansville, IN brewery.
Hudepohl Brewing celebrates its 100th anniversary with this special display in their lobby.